● FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ●
- How do I find a groomer that works for me? There are many factors that go into finding your perfect pet stylist. Referrals are always ideal but here are some good things to ask yourself and your potential groomer.
1) Is the facility well lit? Does it look and smell clean?
2) Is the staff knowledgeable and caring? Do they answer your questions confidently, professionally and respectfully?
3) Do they handle the pets in their care gently? Do they respect and love animals?
4) Are the cages appropriate size? Are the pets comfortably able to stand and turn around?
5) Are pets monitored regularly or left unattended for extended periods of time?
6) Does the groomer keep thorough records of past haircuts, vet and vaccine information, emergency contacts?
7) Can you stay and watch the grooming process?
- How long does a grooming take? While most grooms are completed in approximately 2 hours, each groom is unique. Time varies according to size, age, type of groom, temperament, coat condition, etc. When we see your pet we will be able to give a more accurate estimate on how long your pet's spa experience will last.
- Do you accept walk-ins? Since Little Shop devotes themselves to focusing on one pet at a time, we are not able to accept pets without scheduled appointment times. However, call for an appointment and we will do our best to get you in as soon as possible. Nail trims are almost always available as walk-in appointments. Walk-ins are accepted in our self serve facility.
- How much will the grooming cost? Prices are individually based on each pet's size, coat condition, temperament, and frequency of grooming. If you would like a price estimate feel free to call, email, or stop by the salon with your pet for a more accurate estimate.
- Do you groom sedated pets? No. We refer any pets that must be sedated to be groomed at a veterinary clinic as sedation may require special medical attention. Sedated pets also do not exhibit the same body language and therefore we are not able to accurately judge when the pet is uncomfortable or overly stressed. Ask about our rehabilitation and retraining program for pets who need a reintroduction to positive grooming and all its benefits. It has worked wonders for anyone willing to invest the time to get their pet comfortable with grooming.
- Do you close in inclement weather? We usually follow the Hamden school system, so if Hamden schools are closed we are most likely closed. There are some times when Hamden will close on the prediction of bad weather so please call the shop as we will change our voicemail or update our facebook page if we are closing for the day.
- What is hand-stripping and do you offer it? Unfortunately we no longer offer hand-stripping. This process is used on harsh coated dogs, usually terriers, to maintain proper coat texture and color. Instead of clipping, you pluck out the dead guard hairs by hand making it possible for a new hair to grow in. When harsh coated dogs are clipped instead of stripped, the follicle is damaged and loses its texture. Over time, the vibrant colors of the pet's coat will fade. For more information on hand-stripping visit these sites: Handstripping.com, and TLCGroomingdogs.com. We do know of some local groomers who are offering this service and are happy to share their info with you.
- Will my pet be muzzled for the grooming? Aggressive pets may be muzzled for their safety and ours.
- May I bring treats/toys in for my pet? Yes! We encourage bringing items that will help pawsitively reinforce good behavior.
- Can I stay with my pet? As long as your pet is able to behave with you nearby, we welcome pet parents to watch their pet's spa experience from our reception and viewing areas. We ask that while your pet is on the table you do not speak to them as grooming an excited, wiggling pet is rather difficult. Little Shop also recommends the Cage-Free Styling for those wanting to stay with their pets.
- What info is needed for our first appointment? Pets must show proof of a current rabies vaccination in order to stay at Little Shop of Howlers. General pet, medical and contact information will also be asked for so arriving about 10 minutes early to your first appointment is ideal.
- Can my pet only get a haircut and no bath? We want all pets to look their best leaving our salon. This cannot be achieved if the coat is not properly prepared to our standards. Also pets not cleaned immediately before their styling carry some dirt and debris in their coat, causing our grooming tools to break down much more quickly. As a result, all pets must be bathed by our technicians. We do offer a haircut only option for pets with special needs or severe physical limitations. Please ask for more information.
- How can I learn to best maintain my pet's style between groomings? Please ask us any questions you may have about how to maintain your pet. We are happy to make your at home grooming sessions as productive and pleasant as possible. If you are interested in a more in depth learning experience, we do offer a private tutorial session for you and your pet. Our stylists will go over what tools work best on your pet and why, how to use them safely and efficiently, tips and techniques on how to get your pet's cooperation, and finally how to make this a fun bonding experience for you both.